Home / Military

Military

Farleigh Down Tunnel, Batheaston – Wiltshire

Monkton Farleigh ammunition depot utilised an old stone quarry below a plateau some 450 feet above the valley floor in which ran the main line railway that was its principal source of supply. Before the depot could be commissioned, an efficient means was need to bring in ammunition from the …

Read More »

Llanberis Bomb Store, Llanberis

It’s official title is actually ‘Llanberis RAF Reserve Depot (Bomb Store)’  – In 1939 two open quarries were bought by the Air Ministry for use as ammunition storage. The depot consisted of two levels, with access to the lower level by either narrow gauge railway or by truck to delivering …

Read More »

Landaff Sub Control, Cardiff

Visited in June 2009, a true cold war timewarp. The sub-control was built in 1956 remaining operational until the disbanding of the Civil Defence Corps in 1968. After that date it remained in use, manned by Cardiff Corporation’s voluntary Civil Defence Organisation until 1984. It was in theory operational as …

Read More »

The Forts, Flat Holm Island

Flat Holm island has had two military occupations. First in the 1860’s and again in 1940 during world war 2. In the 1850’s, Queen Victoria & Prince Albert visited france where they became concerned about the strength of the French Navy. The Royal Commission of 1860, under the direction of …

Read More »

Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery Bristol B2, Portbury

The remains of the Second World War Portbury (Sheepway) anti aircraft battery and military camp. Four octagonal emplacements, support structures and extant buildings, were mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946 and 1947. The construction of four reinforced concrete gun emplacements (a half battery), located adjacent to Atherton House, north …

Read More »

Tyneham Ghost Village, Dorset

Tyneham is a ghost village in south Dorset, England, near Lulworth on the Isle of Purbeck. It remains a civil parish. The village is situated near Worbarrow Bay on the Jurassic Coast, and there have been fishing communities associated with the parish since the Iron Age. The village is mentioned …

Read More »