The history of the Bristol Royal Hospital for Sick Children can be traced back to 1866. The building on St Michaels Hill was opened in 1885 and gained ‘Royal’ status by Queen Victoria in 1897. By the end of the 1980’s it became apparent that the current site had become dated and too small to serve an ever increasing City. Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Appeal helped raise over £12m towards funding a new site adjacent to the Bristol Royal Infirmary and opened in April 2001. With the opening of the new site the older building slowly transferred all its services across and the buildings have been sold to Bristol University. A small unit to the west of the site remains in use.