Probably more well known as ‘Mid Wales Asylum’
The Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth, Brecknockshire was originally called the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum on opening in 1903; the name was changed to The Mid Wales Hospital in 1921.
The first patients at the hospital were admissions mainly from the Brecon area but numbers also arrived from towns further afield such as Swansea and Shrewsbury.
Although initially intended to cater for 352 patients, at one point at the end of 1925 there were 455. In December 1955 the number of patients had reached 496. In 1994 the total number of patients averaged 140, but 179 could be catered for.
In 1974 the Powys Health Authority came into being and assumed control, with matters changing again in 1993 with the formation of the Powys (NHS) Trust. The hospital was closed in 2000 with some facilities being combined with nearby Bronllys.